laceymeier

Lacey Reads

If I could live in the library, I would.

Delirium

Delirium
By Lauren Oliver
Publication date: February 7, 2012
HarperCollins, 441 pages
Source: Library

Ninety-five days, and then I'll be safe. I wonder whether the procedure will hurt. I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient. It's hard not to be afraid while I'm still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn't touched me yet. Still, I worry. They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness. The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don't.

- From Goodreads

Up until this year, I have really shied away from Dystopian anything. I mean, except for the Hunger Games, which everyone has read, I haven't opened anything else. And I think I know why...because OMG! YOU GUYS, what if these things really happen in the future. Okay, so that's a little melodramatic, but still...

What if we all had to live in a certain faction? What if we were forced to kill others in a Game, what if love was considered an illness and we had to be cured? What if, what if, what if? Right?!

In Lauren Oliver's Delirium, love is an illness. And when you turn 18, you get the "cure." And Lena is ready for it. She's watched the illness kill her mother. She watched it drive her sister mad until she herself was "cured." Love - or amor deliria nervosa as it's called in the book - is not something Lena wants to experience, but then Alex comes along and changes it all. They dance through pages of Delirium, falling more and more and more until Love over takes both of them.

The end of Delirium will leave your head swimming. And even if you have a stack of books you should read before Pandemonium (the second book of the series), you'll want to pick it up instead. I mean, I WANT to know what's going to happen to Lena.

I think the Delrium series and the Divergent series will be my only dystopian novels this year. I can hardly handle all the anxiety they give me.